25 March 2013

Rustic Swedish Cookies

More Scandinavian stuff. Well, this recipe came from a recent (fall? winter?) issue of Bon Appetit magazine, so it may be fake Scandinavian. I'm just in the mood these days to try more cookies, after neglecting them for so long. And I made them while I still had Ikea lingonberry jam in the house.
First you whisk 2 cups whole wheat flour (ooh, up my alley already), 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder in a large bowl. Then you rub in 10.5 Tbsp room temperature salted butter - but I used unsalted because that's all I usually buy for baking, so I added some salt in with the dry ingredients for balance. In small bowl, whisk 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, then stir into the flour until just combined. Easy.


The recipe says to measure the dough by 2 Tbsp and then roll into balls, but who's measuring? It made about 18 cookies. The fun part is, you get to make indentations in the cookies and fill them with 1/2 tsp jam - lingonberry in this case. You know, because it's Swedish. Bake @400 for 12-14 min.
They ended up a little like shortbread - a bit crumbly, so the jam was nice to have. Unfortunately I either didn't make my indentations deep enough or just used too much delicious, tart jam, because it oozed out of some of the cookies. They also weren't as good the next day, so I would suggest eating them right away. A hardship, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment