09 March 2013

Frittata: Two Ways

I had a frittata craving awhile ago, and made two at once. Because, really, what can compete with eggs and cheese?

First up was the Norwegian Baked Cheese Omelette from the book Scandinavian Feasts by Beatrice Ojakangas. Despite the fancy title it's basically a frittata - but I was intrigued by the addition of Jarlsberg cheese, which I had never bought before, and the fact we actually had ham in the freezer - leftovers from a family dinner.




First I whisked 4 eggs with 1/2 cup water (oops, it was supposed to be 1/4 cup) and some salt. Then in a pan, I fried up 4 green onions, 1 cup diced cooked ham and 1 red pepper for about 5 minutes. Then I poured the eggs into the pan, sprinkled with diced Jarlsberg and baked it in the oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes.




Next up was the Salsa Frittata from the Sobeys website. I don't usually put potatoes in my frittatas, though I assume this is more authentically Spanish? I used both white and sweet potatoes, and since I was out of green onion, just fried up a yellow onion instead with the potatoes. I was a little impatient, I think, because the potatoes were not quite as soft as they should have been when I poured in the eggs.


  I had whisked 4 eggs with 1/2 cup salsa, which turned the frittata lovely pink shade. On top I sprinkled cubed cheddar cheese - the recipe calls for that pre-seasoned pre-shredded stuff but who wants to pay for that? Unfortunately after broiling for a couple minutes the inside was still raw (and liquidy because of the salsa) so I ended up baking it for 6-7 minutes at 350.

The Norwegian frittata won this round. The Jarlsberg was pleasantly nutty and the ham was delicious. The Salsa frittata was a little bland - next time I would put in a jalapeno or some chili flakes. But both were cheesy and eggy and, as I wrote at the top, you can't really go wrong with that combination.

1 comment:

  1. We sold tons of frittata slices at Henderson's, and it tons of potato in it. So yeah must be a thing.

    ReplyDelete