12 March 2013

Orzo Salad with Kale, Beets and Feta

I was inspired by Bon Appetit's Barley and Kale Salad with Golden Beets and Feta for two reasons. One - I don't make nearly as many grain salads in the winter as I do in the summer, and two - I don't cook beets. Ever. I picture them being too much work - and dyeing everything pink. Which they do... but they're delicious so I figured I'd give them a shot.

The night before, I did two things. First, I cooked my 5 small beets - though as it turned out, the 45 minute cooking time given was not sufficient and they were still a little crunchy. I also had to use the dreaded red beet as my veggie stand was out of the golden kind. Easy enough to cook though - cover with oil, wrap in foil and roast in the oven at 400. I also had to marinate the kale, since it was raw in the salad. This was easily done by covering it with a quick dressing made of olive oil, minced shallots (damn those are potent... it was quite oniony), some rice vinegar and a squeeze of agave nectar. Over 24 hours the oil helped soften the kale, allowing it to be eaten raw.

The next night it was quick enough work to peel and chop the beets and mix them into the kale, and then cook up some orzo - nothing against barley, I have made a lovely barley salad in the past, I just didn't have any. And I had leftover orzo from a dinner party, so there. And quinoa was just too much work that night. I sprinkled feta on top but there was no need to add extra dressing, as the recipe says - it was oily enough from the kale. A nice quick weeknight dinner before seeing a movie (BOND!).


Well two things. First - if you're leaving the kale overnight as I did, mix it periodically. The dressing of course fell to the bottom, and I should have given it a shake every few hours. It softened a little unevenly. Second - beets dye things! Like everything that was white in the salad - the orzo, the feta. I guess that's why they suggest golden beets. It was still fabulous but the colour was a little off-putting. Pink food... I dunno.

1 comment:

  1. Nom, orzo...

    If you are still into cooking with beets, this is an odd-looking, but delicious-tasting recipe I've used: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tagliatelle-with-Shredded-Beets-Sour-Cream-and-Parsley-109365

    ReplyDelete