24 February 2013

Tex-Mex Chowder

You know those grocery store magazines, filled with recipes featuring all their own products? Well, the Sobeys one isn't so bad. And one day I just happened to have the right ingredients for the Tex-Mex Chicken and Corn Chowder, sans chicken, and decided to give it a whirl. I had been buying avocados a lot that week, and was in a Tex-Mex mood.

I added some oil to a large pot and threw in one chopped green onion, 2 chopped large potatoes, 1 Tbsp (fresh!) oregano, 1 Tbsp chili powder and 1 tsp cumin, and let those cook about 5 min. Not really long enough for the potatoes to brown, but oh well. I was impatient. I then added 2.5 cups chicken stock, 1 cup of medium salsa (yum!), 1 can of red kidney beans, and 1 diced red pepper (for some added veg).


I did end up boiling it for 15 minutes, though I assume without the need to cook the chicken you wouldn't have to wait that long. After that I stirred in 3/4 cup frozen corn, and 1 more Tbsp fresh oregano for the last couple minutes. Normally I wouldn't splurge on buying fresh herbs, but I thought it would be worth it. On second thought, it only called for 2 Tbsp total so next time I would probably just stick with dried.


Now to make it extra good, the recipe calls for stirring in 3/4 cup sour cream and 1/3 cup sliced green onions. And the garnishes: more sour cream, more onions, and avocado. Drool. This was quite the decadent recipe for being from the Sobeys website - it was creamy and salty (from all the salsa) and delicious. Not something I would repeat - too many ingredients to buy that I normally wouldn't have on hand - the potatoes, salsa, sour cream, green onions. Fun while it lasted, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment