08 February 2013

Grapefruit-Soba Noodle Salad

My sister, knowing my love of peanuty-cilantro flavours, sent me a link to this Grapefruit-Soba Noodle Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce from Vegetarian Times. A perfect meal for me - one big saucy mess of carbs, protein and veg. One bowl/pot meals are the best! And I should eat more grapefruit.

I mixed the sauce first - all the usual ingredients. Rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, agave nectar, toasted sesame oil. I doubled the peanut butter to 4 Tbsp, because PB is amazing. I didn't have chili oil and I didn't feel like mincing some garlic so I substituted 1 tsp of sriracha. It was quite vinegary, and thinner than I usually make it, but I suppose the point of the recipe was a nice, light lunch.

I fried up half a block of tofu in a pan, then fried/warmed up a couple of green onions and 1 red pepper so they wouldn't be completely raw. Alas, no radishes, though maybe I should start buying them... but I don't remember if I like them! I also boiled the snow peas for two minutes as the recipe suggested but I would shorten that time - even after only two minutes they were quite soft.

I love that the official name for cutting citrus fruit is supreming. It's just cutting off the skin with a paring knife and then cutting each individual segment out, avoiding all the white bitter pith. The citrus cut through the peanut butter and (faint) spice nicely when it was all mixed together. Delicious despite my lack of cilantro and sesame seeds, the suggested garnishes. If I had a longer lunch break at work I would definitely bring cold noodle salads. Easy to make with any veggies you have lying around your fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment