04 June 2013

Power Bars

Here's another good freezer recipe - that is, if you open my freezer at any given time you would find either muffins or these Power Bars from Canadian Living. I saw them made on Best Recipes Ever a few summers back, when I was watching lots of daytime TV, and thought they would make a great snack. These are definitely not dessert - despite being full of sugar they aren't very sweet. But they are perfect for a good hit of energy in the afternoon, or before a workout (that advice is from the TV hostess, not me, HAHA).

First the dry ingredients. Two cups whole wheat flour (I usually use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup oats), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup skim milk powder (this you have to buy at the bulk store, but could probably leave out, as it's just there for extra protein), 1/4 cup wheat germ (I don't usually have this, so I leave it out or throw in some ground flax) and 1 tsp baking powder. Then comes the fun part - mixing your choice of dried fruits, nuts and seeds. For this batch I used 1/2 cup each chopped dried apricot, dried cranberries, raisins and sunflower seeds.

The wet ingredients are particularly yummy - 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil (I had to use olive oil because I was out of canola, oh well!), 1/2 cup molasses and 1/3 cup (natural, obvs, so it needs a few seconds in the microwave) peanut butter. Yes, I buy molasses pretty much solely for this recipe, and it's delicious. It tastes just like those cheap candies they used to give out at Halloween in the orange wrappers that no one liked at the time but I would totally eat now.

Now you give your arm a bit of a workout stirring all of this deliciousness together. It is super thick and sticky. I advise using parchment paper in the 8x8" pan for easy lifting once they're cooked. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes. And unlike brownies or cake, cut these into pretty small squares. The pan should yield about 20 at least. They're hefty little things. Not overly sweet, but with a rich molasses taste to them, and studded through with fruit and seeds. Way better than store-bought power bars or granola bars.

1 comment:

  1. Wheat germ is the best. It taste like nothing/nutty, and it super good for you. I eat some ever day lately. Vitamin E and zinc for beauty!

    ReplyDelete