01 January 2013

Banana Muffins

I make a LOT of muffins - I keep them in the freezer and take them out for the commute back home from work. I also make a lot of banana muffins - mostly because we eat a lot of bananas but also have quite a few go brown on us, in which case they get popped in the freezer to await becoming muffins. I usually follow a slightly modified version of the recipe from the good ol' Joy of Cooking (1997 ed. - the muffin page is caked with batter and taped into place, I may use it a lot...) but googled around for some changes awhile back and found this recipe, which claimed they were the EASIEST and the BEST - and the blogger had 1000+ comments to prove it. We're in the big leagues here - so let's try 'em out!

I love making the banana slurry. I mashed 3 bananas (usually pretty watery from having been frozen) with 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil (she had 1/3 cup melted margarine) and 1/3 cup sugar (she had 1/2 cup). You know me, always trying to be healthy. I also added in 1 tsp vanilla, just because.

The dry ingredients differed from the Joy of Cooking a little in the amount of floor - 1 1/2 cups instead of my standard 2 cups. What are we making here, cupcakes?! I also added in 1 tsp cinnamon - this recipe doesn't seem to have a lot of other flavourings, does it? The temperature was also at 350 instead of my standard 400. Hmmm. After adding some walnuts, I threw them in the oven and awaited the lovely banana smell to waft over to me.

No surprise, they turned out just fine. Don't know what else to say except everyone should bake muffins all the time - they make your house smell good, and they're ALWAYS better than whatever awful baked good offered by any/all coffee chains. Low-fat ones are better to keep frozen until the day you're going to eat them, but this means they are damn convenient for work snacks. And they're even better with chocolate chips in them...

No comments:

Post a Comment